MFY Legal Services 50th Anniversary Fellowship
Medical-Legal Partnership Serving Children with Disabilities
MFY Legal Services, Inc. (MFY), a non-profit legal services organization that provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers, seeks applicants for its 50th Anniversary Fellowship to begin immediately. This is a two-year fellowship leading to a staff position at MFY at the conclusion of the Fellowship. The Fellow will develop a Medical-Legal Partnership (MLP) with the child & adolescent psychiatric service of a local hospital to serve children with a range of mental and intellectual disabilities in special education matters, including advocacy, hearings and litigation; and to advise and provide representation to the children’s families about government benefits, including SSI/SSD benefits, health insurance benefits, SNAP, and other federal, state, and local benefits. The attorney will practice before administrative agencies and in state and federal court. The Fellow will be on-site at the hospital at least one day a week. As the project grows, the Fellow will recruit pro bono lawyers to assist in serving the children and their families.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Developing and fostering the new MLP with hospital staff;
• Working as part of a team with hospital staff to identify, address, and resolve legal issues affecting patients;
• Conducting client intake on site at the hospital and on the telephone, at clinics, or in the office;
• Providing legal advocacy and representation at administrative hearings and in all phases of litigation;
• Identifying potential issues for impact or class-action litigation or policy initiatives in partnership with hospital staff;
• Engaging in outreach to and education of community and client groups;
• Working in coalition with advocacy groups;
• Providing testimony before legislative bodies; and
• Maintaining records in office database.
• Two years of experience serving children in special education matters;
• Admitted to practice law in New York;
• Knowledge of public benefits;
• Fluency in Spanish or a Chinese dialect;
• Ability to balance program management with individual caseload;
• Self-starter with leadership skills and ability to develop new initiatives; and
• Excellent research and writing skills.
Prior experience in a medical-legal partnership a plus.
Salary is pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement depending on year of graduation, with excellent fringe benefits.
How to apply
Applicants should submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample addressed to Kevin Cremin, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “50th Anniversary Fellowship Application” in the subject line. Please indicate where you saw this posting. Due to the volume of resumes received for recent postings, we will respond only to applicants selected for interviews. For further information about MFY, please go to www.mfy.org. MFY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.