Economic Assistants collect prices and related statistical data on a wide variety of commodities, services, and housing for the BLS Consumer Price Index. Data for commodities and services are collected by conducting personal and telephone interviews with store managers and buyers, managers in auto dealerships, doctors, pharmacists, and other professionals. Data for the housing survey are obtained by personal visit or telephone interview with either property managers, tenants, or home owners.
These positions are located with the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics Boston/New York Region, Division of Price Programs, Consumer Price Branch. For this position, work concentrated in Queens and Brooklyn, NY.
Salary range: $17.09 to $22.22/per hour
Open period: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 to Monday, June 16, 2014
The initial average hours per week will be 22 hours may fluctuate based on workload and training requirements. This is not a job for a person who needs full-time work or who cannot be available for work when it is required, including a mix of day, evening and weekend hours. This position will not lead to a permanent full-time position. This position is a field representative position in a regional Division of Price Programs. Incumbents of the position have responsibility for the collection of data for the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Assignments are designed to develop technical competence in the CPI Program.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Visiting retail and service establishments such as department stores, supermarkets, medical offices and hotels to collect retail price data. A limited amount of data is collected by telephone/fax.
• Contacting homeowners, renters, and apartment management companies by personal visit to neighborhoods and follow up telephone interviews.
• Collecting and entering data on a hand held computer.
• Obtaining voluntary cooperation from survey respondents.
• Traveling to office to have work reviewed during on-the-job training and for monthly meetings.
See application process.
How to apply
See full application process here: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/