The ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project in Buffalo, a legal services organization, seeks a fully bilingual Spanish-English Immigration Attorney with at least some experience in immigration litigation to handle a wide array of cases in removal proceedings, as well as other responsibilities under the several grants and contracts of the Immigration Program, including “know your rights” presentations at the detention facility in Batavia, NY.
This is a staff attorney position under the supervision of the VLP Immigration Project's Supervising Attorney, Sophie Feal.
- is admitted to the New York bar or the bar of another state
- has the means and willingness to travel between the Buffalo office and the federal detention facility in Batavia on a regular basis (a driver’s license is required)
- has the ability and desire to litigate immigration matters in Buffalo and Batavia Immigration Courts, which includes strong oral and written advocacy skills, a willingness to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team, and the organization required to juggle cases.
- has the ability to immediately pick up an existing caseload of matters in removal proceedings
- has the flexibility to handle and array of projects which may involve community education, legal orientations, preparing reports for funders, and mentoring pro bono lawyers
- has an ability and desire to work with low-income immigrants from all over the world
- is organized and capable of tracking his/her work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements.
Please send a resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in this position, and contact information for 3 references via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Sophie Feal, Esq.,
ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc.
237 Main St, Suite 1000 Buffalo, NY 14203
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is based on experience. VLP is a non-profit agency with excellent fringe benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and parking costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.