The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an attorney with experience in real estate transactions to serve as a review attorney for the Real Estate Finance Bureau (REF). REF is charged with the enforcement of Article 23-A of the New York General Business Law (the “Martin Act”) and governing regulations that relate to real estate securities, including syndications and cooperative interests in realty such as cooperatives, condominiums, timeshares, and homeowner associations. REF will also be addressing complaints of civil frauds in real estate such as tenant harassment.
The ideal candidate will have a background in real estate transactions, as well as an understanding of the Martin Act and governing regulations. Prior experience with offering plans and real estate closings is preferred. Candidate must have the ability to work in a highly structured and fast paced environment and be able to meet rigorous statutory deadlines. Background with specific areas such as corporate law, real estate investments, and affordable housing are also strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will also have between three (3) and five (5) years of post-admission real estate transactional experience.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Reviewing large docket of offering plans and amendments, including complex conversion plans for occupied buildings and affordable housing offerings;
• Reviewing exemption applications for out of state offerings and homeowners association offerings;
• Assisting senior staff on policy and legislative initiatives; and
• Coordinating with enforcement attorneys on investigations involving review matters.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
How To Apply
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on this link: REF_NYC_RA/AAG_3065; applicants will be taken to the online application page for this position.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment);
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses;
• Writing Sample; and
• Transcript (if less than five (5) years post-graduate from law school.
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions about a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.