The Open Society Justice Initiative uses the law to protect and empower people around the world. Through litigation, advocacy, research, and technical assistance, we strive to secure legal remedies for human rights abuses, and promote effective enforcement of the rule of law. Our efforts focus on accountability for international crimes, racial discrimination and statelessness, criminal justice reform, abuses related to national security and counterterrorism, the promotion of freedom of information and expression, and combating natural resource–related corruption. We recognize that changes in laws and institutions are incomplete without changes in how people think about the law’s relevance to their daily life, and collaborate with a community of dedicated and skillful human rights advocates across the globe, part of a justice movement that reflects the diversity of the world it inhabits. Our staff is based in Abuja, Brussels, Budapest, The Hague, London, Mexico City, New York, Paris, Santo Domingo, and Washington, D.C.
Based in Budapest or New York, the Legal Officer will serve as a strategic and technical expert on issues of criminal justice, including effective and accountable prosecutions and police practices, fair and effective criminal defense, prevention and punishment of torture, and the rational use of pre-trial detention. The ideal candidate will have seven or more years of experience working in criminal justice agencies (including public defender, prosecutor, judicial officer, police officer, court administrator, and the like) as well as with civil society, and will have demonstrated a commitment to human rights and the advancement of social change and institutional reforms. Experience working in Latin America is strongly preferred, as is a demonstrated understanding and ability to work with criminal justice data systems (including identification of data sources, data management and analysis, and tracking and verification systems). The Legal Officer will also join the Justice Initiative with significant experience in project management, as well as political analysis and networking skills at the sub-national, national and regional levels, with a demonstrated ability to negotiate and build relationships with both governmental and non-governmental partners in varied settings.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
· Contributes to ongoing development and implementation of team or project strategy supporting the design and implementation of country-specific interventions applying a range of tools to enhance defense rights, prevent torture, and improve the fairness and effectiveness of pre-trial proceedings.
· Conducts primary research on complex topics and tracks developments in the field, including through review and analysis of primary materials from a range of legal systems, as well research and findings of donors, civil society and technical and academic experts.
· Builds relations with local actors in the criminal justice system and civil society in order to develop, implement and assess the progress and impact of specific interventions across a range of stakeholders; and represent the Justice Initiative and Open Society Foundations with official partners, with NGOs and grantees and with other colleagues in OSF grant-making and thematic programs.
· May serve as a team leader for complex projects managing criminal justice interventions on a day-to-day basis in multiple settings, building monitoring and evaluation mechanisms and reporting on those results to a range of internal and external audiences.
· Works with a global team based across multiple offices and assures compliance with OSF management and financial systems; ensures that work is completed on time and consistent with professional and regulatory standards; recommend and process grants and consultancies.
· Assists in making presentations to senior management and to the board of directors or board committees.
· Represents Justice Initiative within the OSF network and with external groups.
· Law degree and/or advanced degree in relevant field;
· 7 -10 years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role.
· Project management skills, including the ability to exercise effective and inclusive leadership and gather evidence and research to inform strategies and activities;
· Strategic planning and implementation skills;
· Excellent writing and analytical skills;
· Advocacy and messaging skills with demonstrated ability to adapt to varied political and popular discourses on public security issues, including offending and criminal justice responses;
· Ability to work with a decentralized team and to travel frequently;
· Ability to draw on lessons-learnt from experience and to innovate;
· Sensitivity to local context and ability to listen effectively;
· Strong networking and convening skills;
· Strong analytical and research skills including familiarity with data analysis;
· Fluency (oral and written) in English is a must; ability to work in other languages, especially Spanish, is highly desirable. Other languages (Portuguese, Arabic, French) also valued;
· Ability to interact and develop strong relationships with a wide range of actors from diverse cultural, geographic, economic, political, and social contexts;
· Ability to connect with a wide variety of constituencies and colleagues as well as work independently, with a high degree of self-motivation and ability to set and meet goals.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter as part of your application.
Application Deadline: April 11, 2016
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
The “HNBA/Microsoft IP Law Institute” will provide opportunities for Latino students interested in intellectual property law, including patents, copyrights, trade secrets and trademarks. This summer, up to twenty-five Latino law students from law schools across the country will be chosen to participate in an IP immersion program in Washington, DC with all necessary expenses covered. Candidates will be selected in a highly competitive process, and the selected students will be provided substantive instruction, the opportunity to observe first-hand U.S. IP institutions at work, and the chance to meet leading members of the IP legal community who will serve as mentors and potentially provide pathways for future job opportunities. The program will focus on such topics as: Trade Secrets, Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
The selection committee will select up to 25 participants on the basis of a number of criteria, including: an evaluation of expressed personal interest; academic record; dedication and commitment toward accomplishing goals; professional and faculty recommendations; and technical/scientific-related educational and employment background (if applicable). No one factor is dispositive. Students with no technical or scientific background are encouraged to apply.
Even if you are working this summer, please consider discussing this opportunity with your employer. Click here for a letter from the IP Law Institute to submit to your employer explaining the benefits of your participation in the program.
TO APPLY: Please submit the following via e-mail to email@example.com:
All applications must be received by 11:59 pm EST on Friday, April 15, 2016, to be considered. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Honorable Juan M. Merchan is a Judge of the Court of Claims, Acting Justice of the Supreme Court Criminal Term and Presiding Justice of the Manhattan Mental Health Court.
The Law Secretary assists the Judge’s Court Attorney with all duties and responsibilities including but not limited to: researching and analyzing legal issues; drafting opinions, orders and memoranda of law dealing with complex legal issues; assisting with the drafting of jury instructions; and reviewing and analyzing motions and other legal documents filed with the court.
The Law Secretary also serves as Confidential Secretary to the judge and performs all office management functions including but not limited to: electronic record keeping; filing; answering telephones; maintaining and updating the law library and court calendar; scheduling meetings; and other clerical support as might become necessary.
Outstanding research, writing and analytical skills.
Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Experience in criminal law at the Supreme Court level. Knowledge of the New York Penal Law and Criminal Procedure Law is strongly preferred but not required.
J.D. from an ABA accredited law school is preferred but not required.
*Knowledge of the New York Penal Law and Criminal Procedure Law is strongly preferred but not required.
Compensation: Grade 17 (currently $49,919) plus location pay (currently $3,697) totaling $53,616. Jurisdictional classification EXCONF. Salary may be higher if successful applicant qualifies for certain New York State service credits.
Commencement date: This position is available immediately.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and three professional references no later than April 15, 2016, to Jason S. Whitehead, Court Attorney to the Honorable Juan M. Merchan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please note: a two-year commitment is required.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with 55,000 members statewide and eight offices.
The NYCLU seeks an experienced attorney to lead and supervise litigation and related advocacy and to assist in the management of the legal department. The senior staff attorney will work on the full range of NYCLU issues, including racial justice, voting rights, education, free expression, equal protection, police misconduct, and student rights. The person also will be responsible for supervising the work of NYCLU attorneys and legal fellows and will be expected to play a leadership role in the work of the legal department and in the NYCLU.
The NYCLU offers a competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the NYCLU compensation scale.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin or sexual orientation. We are committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that we serve at all levels within the organization.
TO APPLY: Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, short writing sample and salary requirements via e-mail to: email@example.com with “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject field.
Human Resources Associate
New York Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street
New York, NY 10004
Applications should be submitted by Friday, March 25, 2016, but will be accepted until the position is filled.
Brooklyn Defender Services is one of the largest public defense providers in the United States. We represent more than 40,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. BDS represents clients who have diverse, complex and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and very fast-paced setting.
BDS's Family Defense Practice (FDP) represents low-income parents in child welfare and related family court cases in Brooklyn Family Court. Through holistic representation in an interdisciplinary setting, FDP helps families obtain the benefits and services they need to keep their families safe and stable. FDP also advocates for parents' due process rights by fighting unwarranted state intervention in their lives. The office also advocates for systemic change in the family court and child welfare systems.
Candidates are expected to be admitted to the NYS Bar or awaiting admission and have excellent litigation and written and oral communication skills.
FDP has a high volume and litigation-focused practice. Attorneys spend most of their days in court and frequently conduct hearings and trials, often on an emergency basis. Staff attorneys are expected to provide high-quality and vigorous representation at all court appearances and throughout the course of a case. Staff attorneys work closely with staff social workers and parent advocates to provide inter-disciplinary representation that includes assistance on related legal matters, such as housing, immigration, public benefits and domestic violence.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including Staff Attorney on the Subject Line.
To learn more about BDS please visit www.bds.org.
MasterCard Worldwide is searching for a corporate transactional attorney with extensive technology contracts and product development experience to join our Law Department at our office in Purchase, New York, and provide legal support to MasterCard’s Global Acceptance Products business, focusing on technology solutions geared toward facilitating payments acceptance capabilities for merchants. This challenging position reports to the Lead Counsel for Core Products.
Job Description• Strong contract drafting and negotiations skills, as well as the ability to help clients structure complex, forward-thinking technology solutions, managing a variety of related legal and regulatory issues as well as develop commercial launch requirements around the world, factoring in legal, market and customer requirements and expectations
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced, global team environment
• Ability to be solutions-oriented, a strategic thinker and to proactively identify relevant business and legal issues in agreements and new product, platform and service offerings.
• Flexible team player who is willing to take on responsibilities and roles that support the team, department and company
• Interested in significant contact with the business clients on a daily basis with respect to transactional issues as well as other strategic issues
• Ability to execute in a positive and efficient manner, with a collaborative, thoughtful approach and practical business-minded focus; must be able to distinguish and articulate the risks and the reward and help the business move forward thoughtfully and expeditiously.
• Law degree from a top-tier school; licensed to practice in one or more states, including New York.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced, global team environment;
• Strong communication skills with clients and colleagues;
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
• Solid complex technology transactions experience
*In house experience preferred, working with global teams.
• Experience or familiarity with the payments industry and the associated laws and regulations (AML, data protection/privacy, money transmitter regulations, intellectual property, etc.) is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Go to www.mastercard.com/careers Job #: R-36227
MasterCard is committed to balancing innovation while protecting individual privacy and has embraced privacy and data protection as core to the successful execution of its business strategy.
As part of that commitment MasterCard has established a world-class privacy program and is currently adding talent to its global team. The Senior Counsel will work as part of a global team of privacy and data protection professionals to ensure privacy and data protection compliance while enabling business innovation.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to think and act both strategically and tactically with respect to the needs of business clients and their objectives while ensuring that the corporation remains compliant with law, and industry best practices. The position will report to Senior Managing Counsel, Privacy and Data Protection.
• Support business colleagues and create a process to ensure privacy compliance is built into all data driven products.
• Ability to understand complex privacy & data protection law and apply those concepts to challenging business and data constructs and processes.
• Ensure new products and services comply with GLBA, FCRA, PIPEDA, PIPA, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, CASL, EU Data Protection Directive and similar laws on a global basis.
• Performing detailed analyses of laws and regulations impacting business units to facilitate day to day business operations and assist in achieving major organizational goals;
• Analysis of new products and solutions including digital media initiatives, pre-paid, debit, consumer credit, commercial card, cardholder loyalty products and payment card linked rewards programs;
Bachelor’s degree required, Juris Doctor required.
• 3+ years of privacy and data protection experience required.
• 3+ years of legal experience in interactive technology, product development, digital media or data driven products,.
• Member of a U.S. state bar association
• Fluency in Spanish a plus
• Expertise in and track record dealing with GLBA, CAN-SPAM, PIPEDA, PIPA and other privacy and data regulatory requirements;
• Knowledge of interactive media and data collection technologies;
• Familiarity with industry best practices for collection and use of data, including NTIA guidelines, DAA guidelines, FTC behavioral advertising guidelines, Mobile Marketing Association’s best practices, and Direct Marketing Association ethical rules;
• Ability to understand software application development;
• Familiarity with data governance and data management;
• Familiarity with financial services industry and payment processing;
• Motivated self-starter with ability to excel at multi-tasking in a fast paced environment.
• Superior time management, planning and organizational skills.
• Strong analytic capabilities and written and oral communication skills. Attention to detail is a must.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering. Must work well in both team and individual settings.
• Ability to work well as part of a team of geographically dispersed highly skilled professionals.
• Perform detailed analyses of laws and regulations impacting business units to facilitate day to day business operations and assist in achieving major organizational goals.
TO APPLY: Go to www.mastercard.com/careers.
Job ID: R-35069
MasterCard is dedicated to inclusive economic growth of all the world’s citizens across the globe. The Public Sector group’s mandate is to establish meaningful relationships with governments, development organizations, and NGOs to innovate disruptive, sustainable businesses for MasterCard selling services and solutions to Governments and pre-commercial segments and markets. By leveraging blended financial vehicles, we create mutually beneficial partnerships for public and private sectors that optimize long term outcomes for MasterCard and the public sector.
• MasterCard Worldwide Public Sector Division works with the Regions to maximize government sales and engagement and leads commercial partnerships with multilateral development organizations, international financial institutions, corporate foundations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), to promote financial inclusion, government transparency and economic formalization across the globe.
• Working closely with MasterCard product and regional teams, the team innovates and brings to market sustainable solutions that serve the needs of government and development stakeholders and furthers MasterCard’s strategy to accelerate market transitions from cash to electronic payments.
• MasterCard seeks to innovate and develop blended finance instruments to enable sustainable investment in international development with measurable impact.
• Do you have a passion for working with the public sector to create mutual economic and social gain?
• Do you believe that private sector commercial engagement in emerging economies is critical catalyst for key development outcomes?
• Develop strategy to optimize short, medium and long term commercials for pre commercial businesses over various product and service lines
• Develop business models for current government and financial inclusion programs
• Innovate new sustainable business models for products and solutions to serve the poor.
• Innovate new blended finance facility structure and new blended finance instruments
• Lead sales of blended finance facility into donor organizations
• Develop metrics and create methods to track government/IDO business performance
• Create controls and processes to oversee PPP team compliance, legal, and business progress
• Partner with Communications and marketing to quantify and measure non-financial impact of business activities
• Strong business analytics and modeling experience
• Strong knowledge of the development sector and blended finance facilities
• Experience in private equity or debt structuring
• Proven experience in complex solution sales
• Strong experience working with bilateral and multilateral donor organizations
• Ability to work in an ambiguous environment providing solutions that drive positive results for MasterCard and the government entity
• Extensive problem-solving, organizational and planning skills
• Superior oral and written communications skills
• Excellent relationship management skills, with the ability to influence and work collaboratively cross-functionally
• Keen sense of urgency and results-driven orientation
• Bachelor’s degree required; post-graduate business degree a plus
TO APPLY: Go to mastercard.com/careersJob #: R-36228
See attached file here for available positions with New York State.
For more information on vacancies or how to apply click here.
Thomson Reuters is currently seeking a motivated law student (Legal Intern) to work on legal research and content projects within our Practical Law Labor & Employment team. Under the supervision of project leaders, the Legal Intern will conduct legal research, engage in quality assurance and review of new content and linking, analyze and summarize changes to primary law, and provide additional support to Practical Law’s Labor & Employment Team (Practicallaw.com).
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
-Completion of first or second year of ABA-accredited law school.
Knowledge and Skills:
-Demonstrated strong legal research, writing, and analytical skills.
-Ability to interpret, analyze, organize, and express complex legal material quickly and accurately.
-Impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English.
-Strong attention to detail and good organizational skills.
-Ability to work independently, consistently meet deadlines, and achieve individual objectives within larger team projects.
Experience using WestlawNext and Microsoft Office products.
Business immigration experience helpful, but not required.
-10-20 hours per week at our NY office during school terms.
Flexible work hours.
-Possible 40 hours per week during the summer break.
For more information go here.
Connect with us: